Thursday, June 24, 2010

Twi-hards


I knew that Twilight was taking over the minds of impressionable young tweens, but I had no idea how many middle-aged women were obsessed. From the LA Times article:

"My husband finally came to me and said, 'I think you love "Twilight" more than you love me,' " says Johnson, who had become especially attached to the community she'd found online. "I ended up moving out of the house and fought for my marriage for six weeks. I had to take a step back and detox myself from 'Twilight.' I was really angry that I had allowed it to suck me in. Now I meet women every single day where 'Twilight' has become a major issue in their marriage."

The article briefly explores a few theories as to why this franchise has captured the hearts of so many ladies, but I think they left out an important point: Edward is the least threatening sex symbol in the history of pop culture. Yeah, he's a vampire, but it's made very clear that he's a hero because he's doing the best he can to stay away from Bella. He can't even touch her without feeling terrible about it. Edward proves daddy wrong every time he said "be careful around those boys, they're only interested in one thing."

The article then closes with this disturbing thought:

"If you take away 'Twilight' and put in a football team, this doesn't look so much different from what guys have been doing for decades," says Baym. "They stay up late at night looking at statistics and playing fantasy football. You could just as easily say they've lost touch with reality or that they're addicted. 'Twilight' is just a story women are engaging with passionately, so people say it's dysfunctional. On the other hand, maybe men's relationship with football is dysfunctional as well."

In other words: women have finally found a way to be as lame as men. Good for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment