Friday, June 11, 2010

Delta Spirit

A couple of nights ago I went to see Delta Spirit at the Independent. I’d only been listening to their stuff for a week, but the live footage I'd come across was promising enough to make me buy a ticket:

Delta Spirit - Trashcan from La Blogotheque on Vimeo.


I'd heard that they liked to play trash cans on stage, a la STOMP, which my grandmother once took me to see. She was the kind of woman who liked crafting paper-maché flowers while discussing Borges; I used to play with a goddamned abacus when I was bored at her house. I don't know where she got the idea of taking me to see a musical that was all about hitting pieces of sheet metal with hammers, but bless her for trying to be hip and with it.

Anyway, Delta Spirit. The only clip I can find of the show right now is this one:

The crowd was 100% into it, except for a few bricks who refused to dance. At once point the leader singer yelled, "Get off your fucking Blackberry and move your ass," --a sentence that should be emblazoned in neon above the entranceway of every concert venue in America. People who text during concerts: if you're within twenty feet of the stage, the band can see the bright white light of your phone screen, so keep it in your pants. Let a message go unread for an hour. Constant communication is not intimacy, OK?! This is the kind of shit that makes me want to be a Luddite cave-dweller. Yes, I'm ignoring your phone calls. End tantrum.

Back to the band: people (whoever they are) say Matt Vasquez, the lead singer, sounds like Dylan. People also say that Kristian Matsson (AKA The Tallest Man on Earth) sounds like Dylan. By the power of deductive logic, Vasquez sounds like Matsson. But no, it doesn't work like that. Maybe the problem is that every white man with a guitar owes something to Dylan. And The Beatles. And Paul Simon. At this point, the comparisons are moot.

I'll end with a sweet acoustic version of "Children." Let's all pause and appreciate how attractive Vasquez is, even from the dreaded d-chin angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment