Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tie me to the bed post!

A couple of posts ago, I implied that 1998 was a musical wash. I'd like to take that back. My taste at the time was limited to whatever I could find on the radio, which wasn't much, but it wasn't all unspeakably awful.

1998 was Titanic, braces, inflatable furniture, confessions of love over the internet, and clandestine cigarette breaks on my back porch. It was also these songs:






And, let's be real: a lot of Toni Braxton and Brandy. Oh god, and that song "The Freshman" by the Verve Pipe; I emphatically sang the line "When I was young, I knew everything," without even a modicum of irony.

I don't go out of my way to listen to any of the tracks listed above, but last night I had a little Nostalgia Fest with a friend and we sang the fuck out of "Inside Out," because you know what? It stands the test of time. Those lyrics will be in my brain forever, right alongside "Prufrock" and "Daddy."

Oh no, but wait: according to Billboard, this was the #1 song of the year:

Now I'm embarrassed for '98 all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment