Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Freelance Whales - Weathervanes


I've been trying to write about this band for a while, but I'm at a loss. I can't figure out how they so accurately targets my heartstrings, or what sets them apart from every other emerging band out there.

Usually saying a new band sounds "familiar" isn't exactly a compliment, but Freelance Whales combines everything I love about indie pop and makes something both new and memorable.

There are folksy Sufjan-esque moments, mixed with synth blares, xylophone accents and banjo twangs galore. The lyrics are also fun and unique, my favorites about being "partial to the night sky/ vaguely attracted to rooftops." I've also never heard someone deem anything a "hot mess" so earnestly.

All in all, this is an incredibly strong debut. I'll be watching this band, hoping for the best.


2 comments:

  1. give me another day or two with them, and i'm gonna take a stab at reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they make my heart happy? that's the best i've got.

    ReplyDelete