Friday, June 19, 2009

White Rabbits @ the Troubadour


So, my prediction wasn't exactly accurate. White Rabbits didn't "blow up" to the degree that I'd anticipated. Although the Troubadour is an awesome place, it's pretty small. For all of the positive buzz surrounding this band, they don't have the pull that a larger venue requires.

And that might be what made last night one of the best concerts I've been to in a while.

It didn't start out that way. It was packed and we were squashed towards the back bar, surrounded by people who were way too tall. But once the band started playing, it didn't matter anymore. They're such energetic and passionate performers you can't help but get caught up in it. It's invigorating. Translation: they rock the fuck out.

And you can't help but rock out with them. It's beyond your control, which I guess should be expected from a band with two drummers. One of them was completely out of his box: when he wasn't throwing his entire body into every drum beat, he was either jumping around with his tambourine (with a bandanna covering the lower portion of his face like a bandit) or throwing maracas across the stage.

Even though I love their noisy, jangly, rhythmic craziness, I'm also a big fan of when they cool things down, like their song "Company I Keep." It's a slick, low-key, romantic tune, but when performed live there's a certain degree of rock kick added to the mix. Simply put: there are some bands that just sound better live. At the end of the night, my friends and I all agreed that this is the most we've ever enjoyed White Rabbits' music. The band puts on an exceptional show, suited perfectly for smaller venues.

Stream their entire album, then go buy it and/or see this band before they "blow up."

UPDATE: I just read that White Rabbits refers to their music as "honky tonk calypso." Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment