Thursday, April 16, 2009

White Rabbits


The world of music blogs can be an unsettling terrain, brimming with both genuine enthusiasm and pretentious douche-baggery. Even though the word "rockstar" is in our name, I wouldn't consider this to be a music blog. But at the same time, I want to be able to write about anything and everything. So at the risk of offending the snobs (or even sounding like one,) I've decided to enter the fray and speak my mind. Here goes:

White Rabbits is a band, and they're about to blow the fuck up.

I'm not surprised I missed their debut album when it came out in 2007; I was probably too busy obsessing over Spoon's latest release. But apparently Spoon's front man was listening, since Britt Daniels is now producing White Rabbits' second album. It's a logical pairing, they have similar stripped-down sensibilities, ever-so-slight-punk influences, and lots of piano-driven tunes. White Rabbits' songs are catchy as hell and interestingly arranged. They don't sound like everything else out there, and it's refreshing. Their first album is remarkably strong, and working with the likes of Britt Daniels can only yield even more impressive results.

"It's Frightening" hits May 19th, luckily I have their old album to tide me over til then. I guess that's the benefit of discovering a band late in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment